NMNO Supports Autism Speaks

This year, National Mom’s Nite Out is proud to be supporting Autism Speaks! Autism Speaks is the nation’s largest autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.

This year’s Mom’s Nite Out is one of the largest cooperative efforts of Mommy groups, Mom-focused organizations and corporations, bloggers and vloggers – all coming together for one great night in support of motherhood, and it’s the perfect opportunity to unite with Autism Speaks.

Moms are invited to support Autism Speaks in celebration of National Mom’s Nite Out. To make a donation, please click here!

{ 9 comments… add one }

Ann May 5, 2011, 1:43 pm

A nice idea, but most of us moms with children on the autism spectrum can’t join you. Few people can, or are willing, to watch our kids to do this. Even worse, you talk about mommy groups and organizations and bloggers and the like, but most of them have an invisible “YOUR BROKEN CHILDREN NOT WELCOME HERE” sign up. I’d rather friendship for my child than a donation to autism speaks. But giving money can alleviate some of the guilt for treating us moms like complete dirt, for spawning damaged goods, and alleviate the guilt for teaching your children to shun ours, and even openly mock ours. So enjoy your night out, and try to be a bit more compassionate when it comes to different families.

Lisa Pasini May 5, 2011, 3:49 pm

Dear Ann,
I can so relate to what your saying. Thanks for your courage.
I have a broken child too and he has been shunned by the children on our block. I love him and won’t leave him for a night a week or a day.
Take care stay strong.

Noreen May 5, 2011, 5:04 pm

Please don’t call your child “broken” what an impression!!! He or she hears everything you say. You need to change the way YOU look at your child. Yes, your child has many challenges but my ASD child is not broken 🙁 and he has taught me the most out of all my kids. Yes, he needs more help than my other two (3x more) but he is the most hard working, lovable and for the most part happy child. I hope your broken child BREAKS records!!!! As in HUGE GOALS and ACHEIVEMENTS. Look with your eyes – they are not broken, they are uniquely wonderful.

Mackenzie May 5, 2011, 4:29 pm

The world is cruel no matter who you are, this is a part of growing up and realizing the world we live in. Everyone has been teased, or tormented. The only thing you can do is LOVE your child, show them that not the whole world is cruel. That there are caring people, and that you don’t have to submit to the same attitude towards life that everyone else does. Sheltering them stiffles their growth, letting them be in a situation then giving them knowledge of love helps them grow. Helps them realize they dont need their peers validation because they were born the way they are: Perfect. Helps them realize the difference between people that will lift them up and those who will drag them down. I do not have a child with autsim, but my little brother does. Jackson is 5 years old. I often remind him that he IS loved, and god makes no mistakes so that means he is perfect the way he is. God created you the way you are for a reason, god blessed my family with this perfect little boy, to change us. The way I see life, is now different. Worries that used to seem as large as a mountain are now a grain of rice, I have different worries, I worry for my brother. Autism is a horrendous problem that is spreading like wildfire. My brother is always on my mind, the thought of him makes me feel so many emotions at once: Happy, sad, worried, scared, grateful..I love him and I would never change him, he is my light in the dark, he could make anyone smile. When he has a melt down I don’t see the people staring at us anymore, I can’t assume what it is they’re thinking in their head..”wow! control that child” or “great parenting skills” as he is screaming in the middle of the store because he didn’t have enough time to transition from one activity to the other. I am not worried about what others think or feel, yes they might have the invisble sign on their head, but they are simple minded. Do I really care what a close minded person thinks? They have never had to deal with my brother..so they know nothing better than what they see right now. Or maybe they have had to deal with that..maybe they are staring to see how another person deals with what they go through everyday..maybe they need new tactics. Assumption should never form your beliefs. Jackson I love you so much, you have changed your big sissy for the better. I will always be here for my little Bobo :). You teach me everyday how beautiful life really is, and what is really important in this short life we are given. I love you so much, there is nothing I would not do for you. XOXO

Noreen May 5, 2011, 5:06 pm

I totally agree. Get that kid out and PLAY the best therapy for them!!! You need to facilitate it (it doesn’t happen naturally and this is why they are so behind socially). What? More time to PLAY!!! I’m in and I’m soooo there 😉

Mackenzie May 5, 2011, 5:35 pm

What is the moms night out? Where is it?

Elishia May 5, 2011, 7:45 pm

i have never hosted on of these gatherings before but if you are close enough i am hosting mine in faribault minnesota at north alexander park from 4pm to 8pm tonight… everyone is welcome.. bring your own food and drinks for your own picnic or grill out… we will be having discussions on how we deal with certain situations with our children and how everyday life is a lil different and how we all cope… hopefully we can all learn new things tonight…

herelt May 5, 2011, 11:32 pm

If you can get out, and wish to go and mix and mingle, I totally support it! If you can’t, well, you are not alone. My son was diagnosed with Autism when he was 2. He is my heartbeat, my life, my everything. We are taking it one day at a time. I wish health and happiness to all of you <3 Different NOT less!!! (and yes, Temple is one of my heroes!)

katrina May 7, 2011, 3:10 am

The children in my neighborhood just needed to know my son, I would go out and supervise them all at the playground, and take each problem that came up and use it as a leaning/ teaching opportunity. Now the kids look after him and help him and the little ones even look up to him because he us very imaginative and loves hanging out with them.
He us also on a schedule and bedtime is always bedtime, I introduced a sitter during fun activities with the family a few times so when she did watch him he knew her and she knew his routine. If we are not happy and don’t socialize why should our children, that’s not the way we should think.
Find a parent support group, share your struggles, success, and heartache with other adults.
Good luck to you all